Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter is here!

This is what the weather forecast looked like a week ago:


A week later it turns out that this forecast was somewhat accurate, except that it turned out to be much colder than expected! On Wednesday morning Nolan posted this picture:


The -28 came with a windchill of pretty close to -40. So yes, pretty cold! I missed out on some of the cold in Ottawa, since I was hiding in Sault Ste Marie. For you who don't know where Sault Ste Marie is, it's about 800 km Northwest of Ottawa. And it was almost colder than Ottawa! I was visiting colleagues at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre and attended a seminar of Enhanced Forest Inventory at Sault College. The hotel I was staying at was a good half hour walk from GLFC and I managed to walk in every morning, even in -28 temperatures (and wind chill of -35). As long as you dress for it, it's definitely bearable. The week itself was very good as well, and made me realize again how valuable some face2face time can be, and how much I like spending time in the regions. Not that Ottawa is bad, but still...

The canal is now officially open for skating, so I might just have to bring my skates to work for a quick skate at lunch time!



No comments:

Post a Comment