Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wolf!

This past Wednesday I worked from home, since a technician was supposed to come to fix our treadmill. Around noon I got a call saying that he had had an accident, and that he wouldn't be able to come. Nothing too serious, but it did mean we had to reschedule. Luckily another technician could come on Friday, and since my schedule was pretty easy compared to Nolan's, I decided to work from home again. I like working from home every now and then because there are so few interruptions.
Since I was at home anyway, I decided to go for a lunch-hour run before the technician would show up. We have a bit of snow on the ground, but the trails are still accessible. I was only about 2 km from home, when I saw something big crossing the path. It took me a second to realize it was a wolf! I had not idea we had wolves in the area, but they might be going after the deer, of which we have plenty. Funny enough, Anouk had just asked last week what kind of animals we have in the Greenbelt, and we told her that we have wolves out of the city, but not around here. How wrong we were! It was really impressive, especially since he was fairly close, although he moved at a pretty fast pace and was out in the woods in no time. There he stood and observed me for a second before he took off. I had one of the best runs ever after that. Not that I got scared, just really excited!

The technician was able to fix our treadmill, so on days like today, where it started with snow, then froze rain for 6 hours before it turned to rain, we can make good use of it again. Although, luckily we saw it coming, and decided to do our Sunday long run on Saturday this time. Smart thinking, especially when we looked out of the window this morning. It was just gross! We cleaned our drive way at the end of the day, so at least we got a bit of fresh air, but it wasn't really pleasant out there. I guess we'll be getting more snow in the next couple of days before it gets colder again.  Maybe winter will actually come??

Yesterday we also went to see Nativity, a coyote's Christmas. It was a play put up by the NAC itself, but we were not sure what to think of it. It was funny at times, but not very cohesive and seemed to be all over the place. Oh well, it's always fun to try new things!

2 comments:

  1. a wolf, wow that's quite spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Katalijn a wolf great that you were able to spot it, very rear I guess. I heard a program on the radio saying that in a few years the wolf will return in the wild in Holland as well.

    ReplyDelete