Friday, January 28, 2011

The treadmill

First the good news: Nolan and I have both pretty much recovered from our ‘colds’, or whatever it was we suffered from. I’m not sure what it was, perhaps a chest cold? It felt like constant pressure on my lungs and sometimes coughing. It was interesting when I went for a run Wednesday night. It felt quite good and the legs were fine. But I had to walk for half a minute halfway through, just because I couldn’t get enough air in! Luckily I was still able to run about 5 km.
So now the ‘bad’ news: the thought of running that half marathon in February is only slightly worrying me an awful lot… What was I thinking??!! But I decided to get back at it, starting today. So once I’m done writing, and Nolan is done on the treadmill, I’m planning on running an 8k. Sunday I’m supposed to run 16km. We’ll see how that goes, but I am not too worried. A week and a half of taking some time off is not the end of the world, right?
In general I feel more lethargic simply because I have not run or done anything in the last couple of weeks. It’s funny how much of an effect that has on your daily feeling.

Work is going really well, though. It is quite busy, but most of it is fun, and I’m involved with some interesting projects. One of which is the Petawawa Research Forest and the National Research Forests in general. We also have a seminar next week on enhanced forest inventory, which I am also looking forward to. Always so much to learn. So yes, in general it’s all really good!
We passed the cold snap from last week. Sunday morning it was -39 with the windchill, and I didn’t even feel guilty for not going running. For me running is about having fun, and running in -39 weather does not qualify of having fun in my vocabulary.

Nolan is also doing well. He’s enjoying his new position and likes the group and his work. He’s also trying to get back into the running groove, but we both signed up for the half marathon in Ottawa, the last weekend of May, so we have something to train for again.
Well, he’s done on the treadmill, so my turn J

No comments:

Post a Comment